Data quality costs (companies) an estimated $14.2 million annually”
Bad data caused by defects in the ETL process can cause data problems in reporting that can result in poor strategic decision-making. According to analyst firm Gartner, bad data costs companies, on average, $14 million annually with some companies losing as much as $100 million.
3 Most Common Methods used for Data Warehouse/ETL Testing
- The #1 method to compare data movement from data sources to a target data warehouse is Sampling, also known as“Stare and Compare”. It is an attempt to verify data by extracting it from source and target stores and dumping the data into 2 Excel spreadsheets and then viewing or“eyeballing” the 2 sets of data for anomalies. Less than 1% of data is usually verified and reporting is manual.
- The #2 method is a MINUS Query that uses the MINUS operator in SQL to subtract one result set from another result set to evaluate the difference. If there is no difference, there is no remaining result set. If there is a difference, the resulting rows will be displayed. It is inefficient and produces no audit trail or reporting.
- The #3 method companies employ are homegrown tools, utilities or frameworks to perform ETL Testing. While this may be tailored to and work for a company’s specific needs, they are very expensive to build (think lots of consulting dollars) and maintain.
75% of businesses are wasting 14% of revenue due to poor data quality”
QuerySurge — The Data Warehouse /ETL Testing Solution
QuerySurge is the smart data testing solution that leverages artificial intelligence to speed up and simplify the validation & testing of Data Warehouses and the ETL testing process. QuerySurge ensures that the data extracted from data sources remains intact in the target data warehouse by analyzing and pinpointing any differences quickly.
Point-to-Point Testing. The QuerySurge ETL testing process mimics the ETL development process by testing data from point-to-point along the data warehouse lifecycle and can provide 100% coverage of your data mappings.
Test across 200+ data stores. QuerySurge supports connections to data warehouses and databases, big data and NoSQL data stores, files and APIs, collaboration software, CRMs and ERPs, and accounting, marketing and ecommerce software. See the full list here»
19.2% of big data app developers say quality of data is the biggest problem they consistently face.”
QuerySurge will help you:
- Leverage artificial intelligence to quickly & easily increase test coverage
- Continuously detect data issues in the delivery pipeline
- Utilize analytics to optimize your critical data
- Improve your data quality at speed
- Provide a huge ROI