Operating Systems & Resources
Windows and Linux. Currently, we support installation on most Windows flavors and the Red Hat Linux operating system. Performing a QuerySurge trial on a laptop has some nuances, but if you choose this path, please read this article». Virtual Machines (VM images) are supported. If you use our trial-in-the-Cloud, no installation is necessary.
As far as CPU, RAM and disk space, more is always better, especially if your data sets are in the 100s of millions of rows with 100s of columns. For trial downloads and POCs, please click to view our System Requirements».
A QuerySurge installation is known as an instance and is comprised of four components: (1) Users, (2) Agents, (3) Application Server, (4) Database Server
Instance — A single installation of QuerySurge Database Server, Application Server, Agents and Users
Agents — The components of the architecture that execute queries against source and target data stores, returning the results to the QuerySurge server
Database Servers — Perform all data comparisons and store all data. These database servers are bundled in QuerySurge. You cannot use your own database.
Users — Access QuerySurge through most modern browsers. Perform all tasks.
Uses & Browsers
QuerySurge is a pure Web 2.0 application that all users access through any browser, simplifying usage and deployment across distributed project teams.
Current browsers supported are:
- Internet Explorer (support for Edge coming soon)
A QuerySurge User is named user, which each team member needs in order to access and use QuerySurge.
QuerySurge has both a Full User and a Participant User functionality.
Full User – Unlimited access to create, schedule & run tests, view results, run & export reports, send & receive email notifications, export data.
Participant User – Cannot create or run tests, but can view all other information including viewing all query pairs, results, reports, receiving email notifications, exporting test results and reports.
Agents & Servers
QuerySurge Agents are the components of the architecture that actually execute queries against Source data and Target data stores, returning the resulting data sets to QuerySurge. They are also the component that allows QuerySurge to perform simultaneous testing on your Data Warehouse or Big Data store, increasing the testing throughput. The more Agents you have, the more testing throughput.
Agents are deployed on either the PC or Server where QuerySurge is installed or on any “satellite” box in the environment (often, these are test lab boxes or available desktop/laptop boxes).
The Agent, when it receives a bundle of queries, can run multiple queries concurrently (in parallel). The number of queries that an Agent can handle depends on the resources of the box you deploy it on (more RAM is better) and how you configure the Agents in QuerySurge. The trial download version comes with 5 Agents (more than enough for almost all projects).
The Agents execute SQL queries at both the Source and Target, extracting the data and inserting it into the QuerySurge database, where validation of each of data set is processed. This eliminates processing overhead on the Source and Target data stores in your architecture. QuerySurge then exposes all data mismatch failures, row count differences, and column type mismatch failures, affording you the ability to test 100% of your data quickly.
QuerySurge can be installed in the following 3 ways:
(1) On a single PC for individual users
(2) On a single server for a team of users
(3) On multiple servers for a large team and/or for large amounts of data
- Individual users = Single PC install:
- QuerySurge Server and 1 Agent are installed on a PC. This works well for individual testers that may or may not be working together. Multiple testers can connect to this PC to share tests & information, with each tester having their own Agent or multiple agents.
- Small Team of Users = Single Server install:
- QuerySurge Server on one Windows or Red Hat server
- We recommend installing Agents on separate PCs from the QuerySurge Server. The Agents can be installed on a low-end PCs.
- Large Team and/or Large Amounts of Data = Multi-Server install:
- The Database and Application Server are installed on different servers
- We recommend installing Agents on separate PCs from the QuerySurge DB and App Servers
- You can install QuerySurge directly on a PC/Server or in a virtual image (VM)
- You can install QuerySurge on Windows or Red Hat Linux operating systems
- A QuerySurge instance includes 5 agents, although you may not need that many
- All users can see all data on an instance (a QuerySurge installation)
QuerySurge Supported Environments
QuerySurge supports Hadoop and NoSQL data stores, Data Warehouses, traditional databases, XML, JSON files, web services, flat files, and almost any other data store that has a JDBC driver.
For as full list of supported technologies, click here ⇒
Multiple Environments/Multiple Instances
QuerySurge supports the concept of multiple testing environments (dev, test, staging, prod, etc.). Many of our customers keep each environment separate, for data security or other reasons. QuerySurge has the ability to transfer tests among instances so that the tests and queries are in sync in all instances.
Would you like more information or have questions?
Do you have a technical question? Please click on the orange button on the left side of all our web pages for access to our Knowledge Base.
Do you want to speak with someone? Please fill out the form below if you would like a member of our team to contact you.