Big Data is an ever-changing term – but mainly describes large amounts of data typically stored in either Hadoop data lakes or NoSQL data stores. Big Data is defined by the 5 Vs:
- Volume – the amount of data from various sources
- Velocity – the speed of data coming in
- Variety – types of data: structured, semi-structured, unstructured
- Veracity – the extent to which the data is trustworthy
- Value – ensure insights from the data have value beyond the underlying cost
“70% of enterprises have either deployed or are planning to deploy big data projects and programs this year”
“75% of businesses are wasting 14% of revenue due to poor data quality”
“19.2% of big data app developers say quality of data is the biggest problem they consistently face.”
“Data quality costs (companies) an estimated $14.2 million annually”
Big Data is growing at a rapid pace. According to IBM, 90% of the world’s data has been created in the past 2 years. And with Big Data comes bad data.
And this is important because C‑level executives are using BI & Analytics to make critical business decisions with the assumption that the underlying data is fine.
We know it is not.
Big Data Testing Issues
Typical testing around traditional data warehouses or databases revolve around structured data and using SQL to accomplish the testing.
Big Data testing is completely different. Big Data deals with not only structured data, but also semi-structured and unstructured data and typically relies on HQL (for Hadoop), relegating the 2 main methods, Sampling (also known as “stare and compare”) and Minus Queries, unusable.
QuerySurge is the smart Data Testing solution that automates the data validation & testing of Big Data, Data Warehouses, and Business Intelligence Reports. QuerySurge can connect to any Hadoop or NoSQL store, use HQL to validate Hadoop and SQL to validate JSON documents in NoSQL stores.
QuerySurge will help you:
- Continuously detect data issues in the delivery pipeline
- Dramatically increase data validation coverage
- Leverage analytics to optimize your critical data
- Improve your data quality at speed
- Provide a huge ROI