Browse through the key features of QuerySurge. Navigate to the topic of your interest on the left, and the specific Feature details will show up on the right.
If you have a specific question, please submit your question here ⇒.
- Supported Technologies
- QuerySurge Projects
- Data Analytics Dashboard
- Query Wizards
- Design Library
- BI Tester
- Run Dashboard
- Data Intelligence Reports
- QuerySurge API
- DevOps, Data and Continuous Testing
- Test Management Integration
- QuerySurge Security
- QuerySurge Add-Ons
Supported Vendors and Technologies
QuerySurge supports all of the data stores below as either a source or target.
- Amazon Redshift, DynamoDB, Simple Storage Service (S3), Athena
- Apache Hadoop/Hive/Spark/Kafka
- Azure Analysis Services, Data Lake Storage, Blob Storage, SQL Data Warehouse, SQL Database
- Confluent KSQL
- Databricks in Azure
- Flat Files (delimited and fixed-width)
- Google BigQuery
- HP Tandem
- IBM (DashDB, BigInsights, DB2, Netezza, Informix, Cloudant, Cognos Analytics)
- Microsoft (Azure Synapse Analytics, SQL Server, Power BI, PDW, SSAS, Access, Excel)
- Oracle (Oracle db, MySQL, Exadata)
- Pivotal GreenPlum
- SAP (HANA, IQ, ASE, SQL Anywhere, Business Objects)
- Teradata, Aster
We support any data store that has a jdbc connection. If you do not see it here, ask us. We can still help you.
Multiple projects can now be created in a single QuerySurge instance. This allows for multiple groups to work on the same QuerySurge server without seeing each other’s assets (project-level security).
Global Admin User: This new user type administers the QuerySurge instance across multiple projects.
Assign Users to Projects: Users can be assigned to one or more projects. In each assignment, a user can have a different project role (administrator, standard user or participant user). Read more here»
Assign Agents to Projects: Agents can be shared across projects or dedicated to specific projects. Read more here»
Project Import: Import project data into another project on the same instance or into a different environment (Dev/QA/Prod). Read more here»
Project Export: Export entire projects and store for backup purposes. Read more here»
Activity Log Reports: Two reports that track specific changes for auditing purposes, including manipulations to users or connections. Read more here»
Data Analytics Dashboard
Analytics Dashboard provides insight into your data
How healthy is your data? Unlike data quality, data health is a multi-dimensional indicator of the integrity and effectiveness of your organization’s most valuable asset. Get insight into your data like never before with the QuerySurge Data Analytics Dashboard.
- Build a customized dashboard from a selection of widgets to see the status of your project at a glance.
- Easily see and report on trends in both your data and your team’s performance.
- Drill down into high-level information with interactive widgets. Get detail for a specific day, or about a specific test just by hovering or zooming in.
- Monitor your hard disk usage with our monitoring widget.
Fast and easy. No Programming needed.
The latest QuerySurge release introduces the new Query Wizards. The Wizards allow both novice and experienced team members to validate their organization’s data quickly with no SQL programming required.
The Wizards provide an immediate ROI through their ease-of-use and ensure that minimal time and effort are required for developing tests and obtaining results. Even novice testers are productive as soon as they start using the Wizards.
There are 3 types of data comparisons:
- Column-Level Comparison
- Table-Level Comparison
- Row Count Comparison
Take total control of your custom test design
Solid test design is the foundation of good testing. Use the QuerySurge Design Library tools to create collections of powerful tests across your Data architecture.
- Create custom QueryPairs (using SQL) between any two points (Source, Staging, Data Warehouse, Big Data, Data Mart) in your architecture.
- Design flexible queries with Reusable Query Snippets — query fragments that you can use to modularize your queries and speed up the process of bulk QueryPair updates.
- Run DesignTime QueryPair executions as you build queries to ensure they produce the required results .
- Data-type checking validates the data-type difference between source & target or turn this feature off to return all values as strings
- Duplicate row checking mechanism
- Column threshold option validates fields within a user-defined percentage or value
- Version Control tracks Query Pair history changes made over time
- Data Staging provides users with the ability to stage external data in QuerySurge to join data across tables in different databases, to join between a flat file and a database table, or to compare incremental rows that have ETL’d in different time periods
- Full Text Search of your QueryPairs, Reusable Snippets and Staging Queries for key phrases in your SQL. Or, search by asset name as well.
- Staging Tables can be indexed to enhance performance on staged data tables
QuerySurge’s BI Tester add-on provides a successful approach to solving the problem of testing the data embedded in these BI tools.
QuerySurge’s BI Tester add-on is a fully automated end-to-end solution for testing from data sources through the Big Data lake to the Data Warehouse/Data Mart to the BI and Analytics reports.
BI Tester supports:
- Business validation of your reports
- Full regression testing of your BI data
- Migration testing from one BI vendor to another
- Upgrade testing from one version to another
- Comparison of reports between 2 servers
- Passing of parameters to a report
- Querying of report metadata
Supported BI Vendors
QuerySurge’s latest release of the BI Tester Add-On now provides connectors for the following vendors:
- Microsoft Power BI
- IBM Cognos
- SAP BusinessObjects
- Oracle OBIEE
Schedule your testing by time and location for maximum productivity
Contention for environments is common during Data Warehouse and ETL development. Simplify the process by scheduling your tests for the specific times when your architecture is available, or for a window of time when your activities will least impact the rest of the team.
- Mix-and-match Test QueryPairs in QuerySurge Test Suites to meet specific project execution goals
- Build groups of QuerySurge Test Suites to test specific mappings, ETL logic or Data Warehouse Sources
- Build QuerySurge Scenarios for scheduling your execution runs at specific dates and times
- Run test immediately, at a predetermined time (like Wednesday at 11:00 pm) or use the QuerySurge API to have your tests automatically run by your data integration, ETL, automated build, change management or test management solution.
View your data live during execution
Visualize and track the real-time progress of your running Scenarios on the QuerySurge Run Dashboard. A graphical display helps you to follow the flow of your Queries, and you can drill-down to see test details and data failures.
- View Query execution progress live via graphical run status displays
- Drill-down into data as QuerySurge processes it to examine results as they become available during execution
- See real-time statistics for each QueryPair executed and for the Scenario execution as a whole
- Alert your team about the status of execution via custom email notifications
- Export detailed results in Excel, CSV or XML formats to share with team members and other project stakeholders
- QueryPair Timeline Graph – Access the same query performance graph for your scheduled runs as you have in your design-time runs.
Data Intelligence Reports
Data Intelligence Reports help find problematic areas and provide root cause analysis
Use QuerySurge DI reports to share both high-level and detailed views of the lifecycle of your data testing with team members and business stakeholders.
- Configure reports for specific date ranges, asset types or specific executions to get the view into your results that you need.
- Design test reports with details including Query Pair history, mapping coverage and Reusable Query Snippet usage.
- Test Suite reports include history and last run execution results.
- Scenario execution reports include summary reports, detailed execution reports, and root cause analysis reports.
- User configuration reports include administrative summary, users, and connections.
- 5 Root Cause Analysis reports allow users to analyze their results from a column-level perspective, as a quicker way to isolate core data issues. More information on these reports can be found here ⇒
- Export your reports as Excel or PDF files to share within your organization or to archive for future audit needs
Extensibility for QuerySurge users
The QuerySurge API provides users with the ability to control multiple services from the command line and automate them through scripts.
- Execute QuerySurge Test Suites remotely
- Obtain Execution Outcome status (Pass/Fail) remotely
- Modify Reusable Query Snippet values for Parametrizing SQL
- Customize QueryPairs in real-time
- Pass in values such as dates or incremental ID’s
- Call into RESTful API from any external process, including Schedulers, Automated build/Continuous Integration and ETL tools
- Deploy/call API on Windows or Linux operating systems
- Use the API to write branching scripts to create execution logic driven by pass/fail results. Email notifications can be customized and sent upon pass/fail status
- Use Swagger, a cool Interface Description Language that describes our RESTful API functions and lets you try them out.
DevOps, Data and Continuous Testing
Deliver validated data in your DevOps initiatives through Continuous Testing
Testers can now dynamically create, execute and update data validation tests utilizing API calls and integrate with other solutions in your DevOps pipeline.
QuerySurge for DevOps integrates with:
- Continuous integration/ETL solutions
- Automated build/release/deployment solutions
- Operations and DevOps monitoring solutions
- Test management/issue tracking solutions
- Scheduling and workload automation solutions
- Create/modify source and target test queries
- Create/modify connections to data stores
- Create/modify the tests associated with an execution suite
- Create/modify staging tables from various data connections
- Create custom flow controls based on run results
- Email results sent automatically to everyone on the team
Test Management Integration
Integrate seamlessly with industry-standard Test Management Solutions
QuerySurge connectors offer support for solutions such as Micro Focus Quality Center, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and IBM Rational Quality Manager.
- Drive QuerySurge execution from your Test Management Solution
- Outcome results (Pass/Fail/etc.) are returned from QuerySurge to your Test Management Solution
- Results are linked in your Test Management Solution so that you can click directly into detailed QuerySurge results
- Connectors are available for Micro Focus Quality Center/Application Lifecycle Management (10+), Microsoft Team Foundation Server (2010+), IBM Rational Quality Manager (4.x+)
Simplified application and user management
The administration module provides access to the control features of your QuerySurge installation. Here, you have the ability to create and manage user profiles, database connections, agent configuration, and data archiving options.
- Create and manage QuerySurge Users and Agents
- Manage QuerySurge data storage with the included storage tools
- Create connections to Source and Target data stores
- Import existing SQL queries from an Excel spreadsheet or export queries from QuerySurge into an Excel spreadsheet
- View QuerySurge server information, including configuration settings and your application licensing details
- Configure email updates so users automatically receive results of test runs
- QuerySurge with LDAP and LDAPS Authentication
- You can have your LDAP or LDAPS server handle QuerySurge Authentication
- Both Anonymous and Simple LDAP/LDAPS authentication are supported
RTTS takes precautions to protect our customers from security issues. Below are some of the main features of QuerySurge security:
- Data Security – Database passwords and source/target credentials are stored and transmitted between QuerySurge components with AES 256 bit encryption
- LDAP – QuerySurge deploys with Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) authentication option
- LDAPS — QuerySurge now supports LDAPS (Secure LDAP) authentication
- TLS support — QuerySurge now supports TLSv1.0, TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 for HTTP communications between QuerySurge components.
- Kerberos – QuerySurge supports integration with Kerberos’ security mechanisms (dependent on JDBC driver Kerberos support)
- HTTPS/SSL — QuerySurge supports optional HTTPS/SSL deployment
- QuerySurge database – Our team can provide optional database data file encryption
- User Session Timeout — now set to time out after a pre-set “quiet” period
- Login Lockout — automatically locked out for a pre-set period if too many login attempts are made
- Security hardening — Error message compliance with best practices
If you need information on our Software Security Program, please contact your QuerySurge representative for the full report.
Enhance your QuerySurge experience with these valuable add-ons
Ready for Analytics: Back-End Access
The QuerySurge Analytics add-on provides users with direct access to the QuerySurge database. With this feature, you can use your favorite BI tool and create your own reports and metrics. Whether you use Tableau, Microsoft Power BI, IBM Cognos, SAP Business Objects, Qlik, or any other popular BI tool, with this option you can access the QuerySurge database directly.
QuerySurge Import/Export add-on provides users with the ability to export and import QueryPairs using an Excel spreadsheet. This allows you to export QueryPairs, perform bulk modifications on them, and import them back into that same instance of QuerySurge. You can also use this feature to transfer QueryPairs between different instances.
QuerySync: 2 or more instances
The QuerySync add-on is a command-line solution for syncing data from a source QuerySurge instance to a target QuerySurge instance. QuerySync not only copies QueryPairs, but Snippets, Suites and Connections too.